Monday, August 13, 2007

Contractors Accused of Firing on Civilians and GIs

Interesting article. Once again, Blackwater is making a reputation for itself as an organization comprised of rogue thugs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20231579/

When it comes to firing upon GIs (whether intentionally or carelessly), I agree that private security firms need to watch it and should be in touch with the military. Communication and coordination is key. If we're on the same team here, what's the problem? And why can't the military shoot back? If the security firms are putting our soldiers at risk, or potentially revealing their operational positions, then I think our soldiers should have the authority to fire right back at 'em - whether we're on the same team or not. Bottom line: don't mess with the soldiers!

When it comes to civilians, I guess my attitude might be considered fairly crass: war is hell. The media (and our spoonfed society) go nuts when civilians are injured and killed during firefights. But I would suggest that if some of those civilians had more common sense or placed more value on human life, they wouldn't be exposed in the first place. Stay inside! If I'm a civilian living in a war-torn village cram-packed with 'insurgents' (aka 'terrorists') and I hear bullets and bombs whizzing overhead, I'm sure as hell not wandering outside with my three half-clothed children to check out the scene. Instead, I'd be headed to the innnermost portion of my house to hunker down and hope Uncle Sam didn't send a smart bomb my way. This seems relatively simple to me.

Furthermore, I would suggest that many civilians are doing it on purpose. Think of the outrage when images of dead women and children hit the media! If you can make liberal, spoonfed Americans doubt their servicemembers' actions, that in itself is a small victory. Besides, these people believe in martyrdom. Why am I concerned? Pretty soon, they'll be dipping bread into 77 bottles' worth of extra virgin olive oil - or something like that...

No comments: