Thursday, July 12, 2007

Contractors Back From Iraq Suffer Trauma From Battle

My mother sent me a news article link:

Contractors Back From Iraq Suffer Trauma From Battle
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/05/us/05contractors.html?ex=1184472000&en=0be90f31729caf27&ei=5070&emc=eta1

Is she trying to tell me something?

So here are some thoughts... I haven't been involved in anything dangerous - not personally. Yes, I've lost some friends to violence over here. Yes, I've seen some ugly things at the Combat Hospital. Am I at risk of suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder? I doubt it, but I'd like to think I'm bold enough and smart enough to realize if it hits and do something about it.

The article is interesting. It talks about how civilians' battle stress isn't taken as seriously or treated as vigorously as soldiers' battle stress. One could argue that civilians working in Iraq are better equipped financially (than our working-class-income soldiers) to handle it on their own. However, it might not be a bad idea for contract employers to conduct exit physicals and mental exams when employees depart. A huge money eater, I'm sure. But one day, I foresee a big can of worms opening up and spilling onto the table. And it won't just be Halliburton and KBR in the news - it'll be all of them.

No comments: