Friday, July 6, 2007

My Own Worst Enemy

One of my greatest character flaws is perfectionism. Although it can prove an asset at times in my work, it sometimes leads to failure. A prime example: School was fairly easy for me. However, if I was not completely satisfied with my performance on a paper or project, any tasking, I simply would not do it. Or I would find a way around it in order to avoid submitting what I believed was less than perfect. This tactic, obviously, was far from logical. One might assume that, after 28 years, I have learned to harness this characteristic and can now accept "good enough". Unfortunately, I remain my own worst enemy.

Not many outsiders know this about me. Only those closest to me - for instance, my parents, my bosses - know how hard I am on myself. I am lectured on a fairly regular basis about accepting "good enough". If it's good enough for everyone else, why can't it be good enough for me? Does this trickle over a fine line into arrogance? Do I really think I'm better than everyone else? Not necessarily. Admittedly, there is a touch of arrogance in my nature. But my mind plays tricks and I prefer to view it as an individual demand for excellence in all that I do, whether or not it's expected of me. If I cannot provide the best possible product, I feel as though I have failed - and then I am particularly hard on myself. In my mind, I am constantly berating my performance or work product. This certainly cannot be healthy. I am effectively depleting my self-worth on practically an hourly basis.

I recently received a performance evaluation. I was rated 9.22 out of 10. By all standards, this is excellent. And I believe that I perform at a level of excellence. However, another side of me believes I am not really worth 9.22. I set my own standards, of which many are not aware (perhaps even myself, consciously), and so I know that some of my work is not excellent. In comparison to others' work product, it may be outstanding. But oftentimes, it's just not good enough for me.

I wonder if people really can develop ulcers from self-induced stress. Or is that just a myth...?

No comments: