Monday, July 30, 2007

Connecticut is High

I read an article today entitled "City Offers ID Cards to Illegal Immigrants" (link below), and I can't seem to wrap my brain around it...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19935856/

The City of New Haven, Connecticut is issuing "ID cards specifically designed to bring illegal immigrants out of the shadows..." No, not to round them up and have them deported for crossing our borders illegally, without authorization, for breaking the laws of our United States of America... but to "give them access to community services."

Huh?

The article indicates that nearly 10% of New Haven's population "are believed to be in the country illegally." So why are we handing them ID cards and welcoming them to utilize community services? Is a huge field of pot plants on fire somewhere in Connecticut and everyone's judgment has been altered into a state of 'hey man, who cares'...?

Now this is grand... "Ray Sanchez, a 36-year old laborer... said the card would also let him get a library card, use banks and learn English." That's great! I'm all for learning the language. Why should I have to speak Spanish when I visit Wal-Mart? Mr. Sanchez goes on to say, "For me, I feel better. If the police catch me, I have identification now." Uh... where are the police? What an easy catch for them all! Are they too busy eating donuts and sipping coffee to round up all the illegals gathered in one spot at one time? What a break this could be! The largest illegal immigrant round-up in history! They'd surely be recognized for years to come, given a parade even!

A protestor at City Hall held a sign that read: "You have cheated on those who have been waiting to enter the country legally." I'm with you, darlin'!

Reading further, the article says that "New Haven already offers federal tax help to immigrants and prohibits police from asking about their immigration status." Let's repeat that: "...and prohibits police from asking about their immigration status." That has got to be one of the most insane things I've ever heard. So the cops aren't busy eating donuts and sipping coffee - they're probably standing outside City Hall with clenched fists, wondering how the hell this ever happened and waiting oh so patiently for their shifts to end so they can go home and kick the cat.

Yep, there's definitely a field of pot on fire.

No comments: