Monday, May 21, 2007

Reality Gnashes its Teeth

I'm bitching and moaning and playing the woe-is-me routine today. Until I read the news. We're missing 3 soldiers, kidnapped back on May 12 from their observation post. 4 of their comrades were killed during the assault. We lost a soldier who is part of the search effort, and another one was severely wounded. The wounded soldier - I believe he was shot in the forehead by a sniper - was flown here to A1 for medical care. They say we're probably the best medical facility in theatre. We even have a neuro unit. He's just across the flightline right now. He may have already been shipped off to Germany, or back home. I'm assuming, of course, that he was stable to fly. I'm assuming, of course, that he is not dead. But I have no idea. My problems don't seem so dramatic anymore. This is the moment when reality bites - and it bites hard.

No comments: